Till 1965 India’s border with Pakistan were manned by the State Armed Police Battalion. On 09th April, 1965 Pakistan attacked Sardar Post, Chhar Bet and Beria Bet in Kutch. This exposed the inadequacy of the State Armed Police to cope with armed aggression due to which the Government of India felt the need for a specialized centrally controlled Border Security Force, which would be armed and trained to man the International Border with Pakistan. As a result of the recommendations of the Committee of Secretaries, the Border Security Force came into existence on 01st Dec 1965, with Shri K F Rustamji as the first chief and founding father. Initially in 1965, BSF was raised with 25 Bns and with the passage of time, was expanded as per the requirement of nation to fight against militancy in Punjab, J&K, North east region etc. At present BSF is holding 192 (including 03 NDRF) Bns and 07 BSF Arty Regiments guarding International Border with Pakistan and Bangladesh. In addition, BSF is also performing Anti-Infiltration role in Kashmir Valley, Counter Insurgency in North East region, Anti Naxal Operations in Odisha and Chhattisgarh states and security of Integrated Check Posts along Pakistan and Bangladesh International Border.
Do You Know ?
- BSF contributes its personnel every year for UN Missions.
- During the Kargil conflict 1999, the BSF remained on the heights of the mountains and defended the integrity of the country with all the might at its command in unison with the Army.
- BSF personnel have been performing Internal Security Duty in Manipur for the last 10 years and have been successfully fighting insurgency in those areas.
- During the earthquake in Gujarat on 26th January 2001, the BSF was the first to reach out to help the distressed people.
- The BSF is handling the security issues on the famous Kartarpur Corridor.
- BSF is deployed at various ICP and LCS on Borders with Pakistan and Bangladesh.
- BSF has sensitized people living in Border areas during Covid epidemic and provided them necessary support/help under Civic Action Program.
- At the time of natural disaster/calamities, BSF provides assistance in areas of deployment such as Kashmir flood in 2014, Kerala flood in 2018 and Kedarnath Tragedy in 2013.